Sunday, April 12, 2015

Pocahontas






Pocahontas 
Disney 1995



Pocahontas was the 33rd film released by Walt Disney Pictures and was made during the period known as the Disney Renaissance. The movie gives a fictionalized account of Native American woman Pocahontas and her encounter with an Englishman named John Smith. The movie was released to mixed reviews. There was praise for the film's animation and soundtrack however much criticism for the poor historical accuracy of the story.


These side by side images provide examples of what Pocahontas looked like and the image Disney portrayed her with in the animated film. 






These are the comparison images of what John Smith looked like, and how Disney chose to make him look. Disney portrayed him as the epitome of our ideal traditional Prince Charming.


I watched this film many times as a child. I remember rewinding the VHS to play the songs over and over again. After watching the movie again I believe many things are missed by children while watching, because I don't remember Pocahontas being so racy. Clearly Disney sexualized the image of Pocahontas.


Positives
There are a few good points for children to absorb from this film. First, the movie does a good job of emphasizing the importance of taking care of the Earth we live on. Another point that was highlighted for me was acceptance of others comes from understanding. There is however a lot of violence in the movie.

Negatives 

  • very sexualized
  • men lack emotion/ depth 
  • stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans 
  • racist
  • historically inaccurate
These negatives that I noticed in the film are mentioned in both the article in the New York Times and the Journal of Navajo Education. I agree that this film has many issues that may be overlooked unless the viewer is looking for them. Everything from my research confirms the issues of stereotype and racism in the film. Dr. Pewewardy wrote about the significance on the viewers of the lack of accuracy of the film. Many people take the film as a historical recollection of the story of Pocahontas without the knowledge that Disney just created the storyline.

Lyrics from the song "Savages" 

What can you expect
From filthy little heathens?
Here's what you get when races are diverse
Their skin's a hellish red
They're only good when dead
They're vermin, as I said
And worse.
They're savages! Savages!
Barely even human. Savages! Savages!
Drive them from our shore!
They're not like you and me
Which means they must be evil.
We must sound the drums of war!






Works Cited 

Maslin, Janet. "Pocahontas (1995) FILM REVIEW; History as Buckskin-Clad Fairy Tale." The New York Times. 11 June 1995. 

Pewewardy, Ph.D, Cornel. "The Pocahontas Paradox: A Cautionary Tale For Educators." Journal of Navajo Education. December 1996. 





6 comments:

  1. I never realized as a kid how inaccurate this movie is towards Native Americans but I now see what all the critics are talking about. I do agree that this movie and most Disney movies draw the lead women characters in an overly sexualized manner. I liked how you included the video because it made me want to go back and watch this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oksana, I knew that this film was historically inaccurate, but I had not watched it since I was very young. I also knew that the film inaccurately displayed and portrayed Native Americans, but I had no idea to what extent! I think it was great that you posted the lyrics to the song "Savages." That song really shows just how bad this film is. I really appreciate your thorough analysis of this film!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved your review! I love how you brought in the actual pictures and placed them next to how Disney made them out to look, and i loved how you added the song (with lyrics). It was put together very well, and it shows a lot that i never realized before. i also loved this movie growing up. I even watched it not too long ago on Netflix with my niece. I feel a bit ashamed of myself for liking it as much as i did and how i didn't catch so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter loves this movie. She has since she was very little. I haven't sat and watched it in a long time, but I do remember as you said that the movie is very inaccurate. I also remember thinking that the song highlighted by the movie was terrible. Though it plays both sides I think the mention of how each side sees each other as savages is something that older kids can see. I also think that as you pointed out the sexualized character animations is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oksana I enjoyed reading your blog. I had never seen the side by side comparison of John Smith, and Pocahontas before. I am certainly going to be very cautious on the setting in which (if at all) I would show this film. Great job Oksana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when I was in elementary school that almost every teacher hated this film based on the historical inaccuracy. The stereotype on Native culture is very offensive. I didn't think about it until now, but I feel like they mocked the culture by how Pocahontas speaks to Grandmother Willow (the tree) by how she keeps it as a secret. I know that Native culture believes in Mother Nature and it's spirits so in a way they're mocking the beliefs. The song "Savages" is downright disgusting. Sad to see that this was intended for a young audience with ignorant views.

    ReplyDelete