Sunday, May 10, 2015

Exploring Hair




Exploring Hair

The purpose of this activity would be to appreciate the beauty and value of others and learn about similarities as well as differences.


Supplies: mirror, pictures of people with different hair, wigs, scarves, rubber bands, turbans, hair clips, old hair dryers, and old curling irons.

For this activity ask children to touch their hair and to look at it in the mirror. Then, ask children to describe what they see and feel to the rest of the class. Show pictures to the students from around the world of how hair is used by people to express themselves in many different cultures. 






                                                         


There are many different colors and textures to hair. 

I decided to chose this particular activity because hair always fascinated me as a child but I felt like it would be wrong to ask questions so I never did. This would be a good opportunity for children to ask any questions they may have. 

The appropriate age for this activity would be between 3 and 8 years old. Page 210 Roots &Wings. 



Three concepts related to this activity are:

Recognize appreciate and respect uniqueness, beauty, value and contribution of each child. 

Foster positive self-esteem and positive self-concept in children.

Provide children with a positive experience exploring similarities and differences.  


















10 comments:

  1. Hair is such a sensitive subject for children when they feel "different". I think this activity is great for all children. This activity can help children understand the different hair types and colors. Like you mentioned, they may have questions and this would be such a great way to get them answered in a good setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting I remember being a little girl and wondering why people had different types of hair too! This is an awesome activity to use that I would have never thought of doing otherwise. You did an awesome job with your visuals as they were well rounded! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great activity. Children are naturally curious about hair and in the same way as adults they want what they can't have, be it curls or straight hair or red, blonde and brown hair. This teaches children vocabulary/descriptive words and builds their confidence. Also children don't necessarily like to be touched by other children/people so this is a way for them to learn about different hair types without being hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Oksana
    This is a prefect activity to do. I don't why I didn't think of it. I will be doing this in my class soon. I'm a hairdresser and touching hair has been apart of my life for many years. It does have many aspects that can be talked about. Like you said some children might want to touch someone hair because it look soft, bumpy, spiky, or curly. Love it. Bambi Ivey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the pictures you have included and I like how easy and simple yet informative you have written your blog. I learned that you as a child felt that it was rude to ask about another persons hair. It is a good reminder that young children may feel the same way in many other instances and I take away the fact that it’s important for us to always keep communication open and have a common thread through the classroom that it is ok and good to ask questions like these. This activity is great for the goals that we want to accomplish in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is very well written and very to the point. I think this is great or younger kid because they are always very curious especially with others hair because it's something they can see every day. I think it's a great idea to bring in wigs and show pictures of there types of hair around the world. I also really liked the video clip you put to go along with it. -Erika Trevino

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mentioned a great point about how you were always interested in hair but it felt wrong to ask questions so you never did. I think that would be the best case scenario for most post people, so this activity would be a great way to enter in that topic. Children will be able to explore and learn differences about their hair along with others.This is an awesome activity Oksana!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This seems liked a great activity. I have noticed my students really like to touch each others hair especially the little girls, if one girl has curly hair it always seems like the one with straight hair wants to touch it. I think they would really love to do something like this. There are so many types of hair throughout the world so this is such a wonderful way to teach about differences and how each person is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oksana the pictures you used were great! I especially liked the pictures of the 3 children with such beautiful eyes. The Sesame Street video was a nice touch as well! I like the simplicity of this activity. I like that it also makes a subject that is accompanied with curiosity so safe and accessible for children :) It was fun learning how to do this activity!

    ReplyDelete